Award-winning data and multimedia journalist. Always looking for the best way to tell a story. Sometimes that means traditional reporting, sometimes that means creating a whole new experience with video, audio, text and code. Most recently working as data journalist for CBC/Radio-Canada (previously for the South China Morning Post and the Wall Street Journal).
- Reporting, writing and copyediting
- Data journalism, statistical analysis using R, Python/Pandas, SQL
- Filmmaking and video editing
- Video interview skills including via translator
- Audio capture and editing, podcasting
- Infographics/cartography with D3+React, Illustrator, After Effects
- Mobile development for Android and iOS
- Data journalist, CBC/Radio-Canada, August 2018-August 2019. Responsible for reporting and producing data-driven multimedia stories.
- Correspondent, Americas, South China Morning Post, Hong Kong, June 2017-February 2018. Covering U.S.-China stories.
- Managing multimedia reporter, China Daily Asia, Hong Kong, March 2016-March 2017. Responsible for reporting and producing multimedia stories, managing junior reporters.
- Multimedia editor, The Wall Street Journal, Hong Kong. March 2014-December 2015. Responsible for producing interactive multimedia content for the Wall Street Journal web and print editions. Employment
- International Multimedia Journalism, M.A., University of Bolton, U.K. Graduated top of class. Received Vice Chancellor's Award for academic achievement. Completed 2012
- Joint Honors in Mathematics and Physics, B.Sc., McGill University, Canada. Completed 2002
Projects and accomplishments
- Produced Self-Driving Cars: Who to Save, Who to Sacrifice, article and news-game on autonomous vehicle ethics. Published April 2019 in English and French.
- Election coverage for 2018 Quebec general election.
- Produced Bhumika Can Speak For Herself, artificial-intelligence news feature on transgender rights in Nepal. Published September 2016.
- Produced Shipping's Dirty Secrets, multimedia investigative feature for China Daily Asia on shipping pollution. Published April 2016.
- Produced Five Major Risks To Flying In Asia, front-page multimedia investigative feature for The Wall Street Journal on Asia's aviation industry. Published July 2015 in English and Japanese.
- Led multimedia workshop The Right Media for the Right Message for journalists at Google News Lab Seoul in May 2015.
- Produced No Good Choices, front-page experiential multimedia feature story for The Wall Street Journal on abuse of foreign domestic workers. Story was presented by The Wall Street Journal at the Asia Contemporary Art Show. Published October 2014 in English, Japanese, Chinese and Bahasa.
- Produced Breaking Ball, front-page experiential multimedia feature story for The Wall Street Journal about Japanese baseball injuries. Published in English and Japanese. Published July 2014 in English and Japanese.
- Produced What is Alibaba?, front-page multimedia feature. The Wall Street Journal's set-piece for the Alibaba IPO. Published in English and Chinese. Published May 2014 in English and Chinese.
- WAN-IFRA North American Digital Media Awards special mention for "Best Data Visualization" for Self-driving cars: Who to save, who to sacrifice?
- Digital Publishing Awards gold award for "Best Digital Design" for Quebec's Electoral Map Reimagined
- SOPA Award for Excellence for "Excellence in Digital Innovation" for Bhumika Can Speak for Herself
- Newsawards 2017 Highly Commended award for "International Digital Innovation of the Year" for Bhumika Can Speak for Herself
- "Environmental Story of the Year" at Asian Environmental Awards for Shipping's Dirty Secrets
- SOPA Honorable Mention for "Excellence in Digital News" for Five Major Risks to Flying in Asia
- SOPA Honorable Mention for "Excellence in Information Graphics" for Five Major Risks to Flying in Asia
- SOPA Award for Excellence for "Excellence in Reporting on Women's Issues" for No Good Choices
- SOPA Honorable Mention for "Excellence in Digital News" for What is Alibaba?
- Human Rights Press Award for No Good Choices
- Society for News Design Award of Excellence for What is Alibaba?
- Society for News Design Award of Excellence for "Use of Multimedia" for Breaking Ball
- Editor & Publisher Eppy Award for "Best Business Reporting on a Website" for What is Alibaba?